Triumph GT6 Restoration
|Recorded Mileage||Not known||Date of Reg.||1972/K|
|Exterior Colour||Old English White||Licence Status||Historic|
|Interior Colour||Black Vinyl||Road Fund||FREE!|
|Fuel Type||Petrol||Engine Output||95 BHP|
|Top Speed||117 MPH||Engine Capacity||1,998cc|
|Transmission||4 Speed Manual||Engine Config.||Straight 6|
About a month ago, rumors started to rumble around Forge Works that there was a nice, rot free Triumph GT6 Mk III hidden in an old sea container just down the road. The story went that it had a full body off restoration with its previous owner who intended to immigrate to the South of France with the car as soon as it was finished. Sadly by the time the car was back on the road he was very ill and the car was put into storage, where it has stayed ever since.
After a trip down the road, a good poke around and a bit of a haggle the GT6 with its associated spare parts were ours. We went and begged a trailer from our ever-helpful landlady and towed to our workshop where we began the task of re-commissioning her and getting her through an MOT.
As you can see from the photographs the GT6 was hardly in bad condition. The original restoration had been done well, but the car had been wrapped in plastic and kept in a sealed container and that meant that the fresh paint hadn’t been able to breath. Consequently it had blistered all over and where the paint had lifted around the extremities it had started to rust. There was no way round it; we would have to completely repaint the car.
The first job is to fit a new battery, drain and clean out the fuel tan, pipes and inline filter before put a few gallons of fresh fuel in. We then change changed the coolant, brake and clutch fluid, engine oil, gearbox oil and differential oil. We also replaced the oil and air filters before turning the engine over with out the spark plugs in so that the oil pressure could build up with out any compression.
Once the plugs were popped back in the GT6 started easily although it was clear that the twin carbs a rebuild and setting up correctly so they were dismantled, the needles soaked and then worked free before they were put back together with new gaskets, floats, needles and seals.
With the engine running correctly we inspected the brakes, which were in fine order (amazing!) and went out for a short road test, which threw up a few other little things to deal with.
The exhaust required re-positioning, the clutch replacing and a new rear hub and bearings as the original was buckled. With these jobs taken care of we whipped her down to the MOT station for a new ticket!
With a current MOT we joined the back of the queue at DVLA Oxford and set about re-importing the car, because although it had never made it to France all the paperwork had been sent off to Swansea ten years ago and it was without a current logbook. Many hours later and 25 pounds lighter in the wallet the paperwork was done and a new V5 was on its way from Wales
Further shake down ~ well, an excuse for a drive!
The sun shone bright over the weekend so we took the opportunity to head out into the Oxfordshire countryside to shake down the GT6. In all we managed to cover just less than 200 miles over 3 days running errands and blasting around the lanes.
We have noticed that the engine runs a little warm, so the fan has been repositioned and the cowling fixed closer to the radiator, which has made the world of difference
Strip for paint
With a good few reliable miles under her belt it is time to carefully remove, trim, interior, lights, seals and windows so the guys can get on with preparing the bodywork.
The most time and cost effective way of restoring the GT6 to her former glory is to stick with the original colour scheme. The underside, engine bay and shuts are all in good condition so we simply need to strip the exterior fixtures and fittings from the car, prepare the tub, doors, boot and bonnet and give the outside of the car a fresh coat of paint. We have also removed the seats and door cards so these can be recovered and will be reunited when the paintwork is complete.
With the body away we ordered some new seat covers from Rimmer Bros and strip the seats replacing the foam as we went. The car was then carefully rebuilt with polished, painted or replaced components as required.
The finished article!
Once complete the Triumph GT6 was treated to a valet and a new set of number plates before being photographed in the studio and presented to its new owner, Steven who has waited patiently whilst we finished his car. He has some upgrade ideas of his own so it will be interesting to catch up with him later in the year to see what he has done!